Wat Chaiya Mangkalaram Temple

Wat Chaiya Mangalaram Thai Buddhist Temple Lorong Burma Pulau Tikus George Town Penang Malaysia

Wat Chaiya Mangkalaram Temple is the largest Thai temple in Penang. Set just off Jalan Burma (on the way to Batu Ferringhi), the yellow-and-blue temple is also known as Wat Buppharam. Built in 1845, it is home to a 108ft-long reclining Buddha image, said to be the third largest in the world. Draped in a gold-leafed saffron robe, the sprawling statue was erected as a monument to signify Buddha’s final resting position at his death and symbolizes his detachment from worldly matters. Located opposite the less extravagant Dharmmikarama Temple (which lights up beautifully at night) Wat Chaiya Mangakalaram Temple is a beautiful sight with ornate, gold pagodas, and mural-painted walls.

History of Wat Chaiya Mangkalaram Temple

Spread across five acres of land (which was gifted by Queen Victoria to the Thai community as a gesture of goodwill to bolster trading relations with Thailand) Wat Chaiya Mangkalaram Temple was originally led by a Thai Theravada Buddhist monk, Phortan Kuat. Also known as the ‘Powerful Monk’, he was very much adored by his congregation: to this day, his devotees bring bowls of asam laksa (coconut-based sour gravy noodles) to his shrine to honour him.

Visited 34 times, 1 Visit today

Posted in Attractions and Penang

Add a Review

Rate this by clicking a star below:

Related Listings

+60 4-226 9575

Dhammikarama Burmese Buddhist Temple Jalan Burma Pulau Tikus George Town Penang Malaysia

The Dhammikarama Burmese Buddhist Temple is situated along Burma Lane in Pulau Tikus and was founded on 1st August 1803, the temple was known as “Nandy Moloh Burmese Temple” then. This place of public worship was purchased by Nonya Betong from George Layton, granted by Sir George Leith Baronet, LT. Read more…

Craft Batik Sdn. Bhd. George Town Penang Malaysia

Penang Batik Factory is one of the pioneers of batik manufacturing on the island. Established in 1973 by Craft Batik Sdn Bhd, it is set in Teluk Bahang, a short walk away from the Penang Botanic Gardens. The complex is divided into three sections: an art gallery, boutique and workshop. Read more…